Hide

BEEFORD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BEEFORD, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of York, comprising the chapelry of Lissett, and the townships of Beeford and Dunnington, and containing 791 inhabitants, of which number, 620 are in the township of Beeford, 9 miles E.S.E. from Great Driffield. The living is a rectory, within the peculiar jurisdiction of the manor court of Beeford, rated in the king's books at £22, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. A free school here is conducted on the National plan."


"DUNNINGTON, a township in the parish of BEEFORD, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles E.S.E. from Great Driffield, containing 76 inhabitants."


"LISSETT, a chapelry in the parish of BEEFORD, northern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.S.W. from Bridlington, containing 95 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. James."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]