Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BEEFORD. Church dedication: ST. LEONARD. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 5,270 acres. Holderness wapentake, N.D. -Population, 894 *2; Church-room, 400 *3; Net value, £779.
Peter de Gousle held in Beeford four carucates of land, twenty eight carucates there making one knight's fee.
The Priory of Swine held in Beeford two oxgangs of land, with a toft and a croft, which were given by Isabel de Spineto.
The Church was originally a Rectory of two Medieties, one in the patronage of the Priory of Bridlington, the other belonging to the Knights Templars. Afterwards they were consolidated, and the patrons presented by turns till the Dissolution, when King Henry VIII. gave the advowson to the Archbishop of York.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £20. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £22 per annum, Synodals 7s. 6d., Procurations 5s.; Prior of Bridlington, 13s. 4d.; Knights Templars, 13s. 4d.; Church of Beverley, £2. 2s. 8d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 279, 280, it is stated : " Glebe £16, and tithes £110." " Dunnington, in the parish of Beeford, fit to be a parish of itself and Bonwick adjoined."
An Inclosure Act was passed 6th Geo. III.
The lord of the manor has the power of granting probates of wills, and administrations of persons dying within the manor, and an old book is in his possession which contains copies of wills, and entries of grants of administration from 1561 to 1768, but it is not known in whose possession the original wills now are.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1564.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Driffield.
Torre's MS., page 1385. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii., page 180. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Biworde), page 179 ; (Dodintone), 179; (Les-set), 179. Burton's Monast. pages 215, 253. Prickett's Bridlington, page 125.
*1 The Legend of St. Leonard is given in the Mon. Angl. vol. iv. pages 88. 90, 91.
*2 Viz. Beeford, 731 ; Dunnington, 61 ; and Lissett, 102. In 1834, the population, exclusive of Lissett, was returned at 790.
*3 In 1818 the Church-room for Beeford and Lissett was stated at 634.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.