[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BEMPTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; 3½ miles NNE. of Bridlington; The Church, a donative, is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Dickering, patron, R. C. Broadley, Esq. Population, 231."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 350 gravestones and plaques at Bempton with linked surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Bempton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcriptions by Lisa Blosfelds of:
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Bempton.
- The List of Incumbents in Bempton church.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bempton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA192722 (Lat/Lon: 54.131833, -0.177213), Bempton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I and II and Korean War Memorial at Bempton
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA189732) Bempton Grange
- (TA210727) Metlands
- Pam Smith has supplied an article on "The Climmers" or Egg Gatherers of the cliffs of Filey, Speeton, Bempton and Flamborough.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The Bempton Rate books for May 1896 and October 1896 have been transcribed by Liz Agar from photographs by Colin Hinson of the original book kindly loaned for the purpose by Jeff Wardlow of Bempton.
These files are in Adobe Acrobat Reader format and you will require at least version 5 of this sofware to read these files, and you will need to zoom in in order to read the text.
The Acrobat Reader is avaiable free on the Adobe web-site.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish