[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BIRDSALL, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 4 miles SSE. of Malton. There is here a Chapel dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev; James Green is perpetual curate. Lord Henry Middleton has a seat here, which stands not far from the foot of the Wolds, in a fine sporting country. The mansion is spacious and commodious, and the pleasure grounds adorned with extensive plantations, contribute to render it an agreeable residence. Population 240.
This Church was appropriated by Walter de Espec, to his Priory at Kirkham. Here was born Henry Burton, a puritan divine, in 1579, and educated at St. John's College, Cambridge; but took his degree of B.D. at Oxford. He was afterwards clerk of the closet to Prince Henry, and to Prince Charles; but was turned out for a libel against the bishops. After this be obtained the rectory of St. Matthew, Friday-street; but got into trouble by his seditious sermons, was sentenced to pay a fine of 5000L. to be pilloried, and then imprisoned for life in Lancaster gaol. The place of his confinement was afterwards altered to the castle of Guernsey; where he remained till 1640, when the parliament recalled him. He was also restored to his living; and died in 1648. He wrote many pamphlets, chiefly controversial, and very abusive. --Biog. Dict."
"MOUNT FERRANT, a farm house in the parish of Birdsall, and wapentake of Buckrose; 1¾ miles SW. of Birdsall, 4½ miles S. of Malton,"
- Photographs of the over 140 gravestones and plaques at Birdsall with linked surname index.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Birdsall in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Birdsall.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Birdsall to another place.
- Andrew Sefton has transcribed a list of the Tenants of the Manor Birdsall for the years 1758 and 1761.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE819659 (Lat/Lon: 54.082514, -0.749586), Birdsall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish