BISHOP BURTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.
"BISHOP BURTON, is a small village, in the parish of its name, in the Hunsley-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, in the same riding as Beverley, nearly 3 miles west from that town; situated on the main road leading from it to York. The village contains the parish church, dedicated to All Saints; and a place of worship for baptists, with a Sunday school attached. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of the prebendary of North Newbold, in the cathedral church of York. Population of the parish by the census taken in 1831, was 556.
Please see Beverley Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this village."
[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]