Hide

BISHOP BURTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BISHOP BURTON, a parish in the Hunsley- Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W. from Beverley, containing 534 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., endowed with £200 private benefaction, " and £700 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of North Newbold in the Cathedral Church of York. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists, with a Sunday school attached, in which about one hundred children are taught. Ten poor children are instructed in English for £20 a year, being the rental of some land purchased with a legacy of £100 from Mrs. Elizabeth Gee, in 1714. Almshouses for four persons are endowed with about £70 per annum, arising from property given by Ralph Hansby, by deed dated July 24th, 1614."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]