BISHOP BURTON: Bishop Burton Baptist Church History up to 1912.
BISHOP BURTON BAPTIST CHURCH
Among the rural surroundings of the East Riding we find the Bishop Burton Church, dating from the year 1764. It then numbered fifteen members, and had for pastor Richard Hopper, a native of the village, afterwards minister at Nottingham. In 1770 its numbers had increased to thirty, and, the house in which they worshipped being dilapidated, they built themselves a chapel. In the same year David Kinghorn, the father of Joseph Kinghorn, was invited "to take pastoral charge over us, for to warn us of our enemies and shew us our refuge. We do also agree for your present comfort to raise £26 per annum; and to provide a house, and to make intercession for the fund."
A very lively description of David Kinghorn is written in the life of his son :—" He was very tall, and sturdily upright. His hat, with a round and very shallow crown, and broad, upturned verge, rested on an ample, white, full-bottomed wig. His upper dress was of dark blue; the coat of great length and amplitude, with copious sleeves and wide flapped pockets. His nether dress was of black velvet, buckled at the knees; with dark grey stockings, terminated by square-toed, substantial shoes, and large square buckles." The dress of this rural pastor was not lacking in dignity, but could scarcely be supported on ten shillings a week.
Mr. Kinghorn ministered here for twenty-nine years. He was succeeded by Mordaunt Cracherode,* who gave place to Abraham Berry (1813-43). After him follow several brief pastorates. During the ministry of Josiah Palmer the chapel at Newbald was built. The maintenance of these village causes is by no means easy, but the names that have appeared on this roll of membership indicate the valuable service which such a community can render to the Denomination. From Bishop Burton came Joseph Kinghorn, Thomas Sample—afterwards of Beverley, and Robert Gray, who for many years has held an honoured place in the Baptist ministry of Birmingham. The present pastor, Rev. S. Skingle, settled in 1896, and during his ministry a new school-room has been built.
* Cracherode was subsequently minister at Sutton-in-the-Elms. After preaching on a Sunday afternoon at an outlying village, he was found dead on the road side, his age being forty-nine.
from the "Present Churches" section of
The Baptists of Yorkshire
by Rev. J. Brown Morgan
and Rev. C.E. Shipley