Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BISHOP BURTON. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 3,970 acres. Harthill wapentake. Hunsley Beacon. -Population, 556 *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, £110. -The manor was an ancient possession of the Archbishops of York, until passed away by Archbishop Lee to the Crown, 36th Henry VIII.
The Church was parcel of the ancient possessions of the Dean and Chapter of York, and was confirmed to them in 1194 by the bull of Pope Celestine III., and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1264. They were Rectors thereof, which Rectory was let at £37 per annum to a Canon Residentiary. Mr. Torre gives the purport of an endowment, but no date.
There was an augmentation made in 1318 by the Dean and Chapter of the tithes of Northdale, and a subsequent augmentation of £10 per annum.
Torre gives a catalogue of Vicars, commencing in 1264, which is continued by Oliver *2.
Patrons and impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York.
Valued in the King's books, at £5. 6s. 8d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 342, and vol. xviii. page 82, it is stated : " The Rectory is leased out by the Dean and Chapter at £37 reserved rent. Tithes are worth £165, and eight oxgangs £30 per annum. Kelin, vol. xvii. page 343, to be united to Bishop Burton ;" -and in 1818, at £90 per annum.
Augmented in 1820, with £400 from the Parliamentary grant, by lot ; and in 1821, with £300 from the same grant, to meet benefactions of £100 from the Dean and Chapter of York, and £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees.
An Inclosure Act was passed 7th Geo. III.
The nave was recently rebuilt, under faculty granted 6th March 1820. The tower and chancel are old.
Formerly the Dean and Chapter of York exercised jurisdiction within the parish.
The glebe house appears by the return made in the year 1834 to be unfit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1562.
Ralph Hansby's charity, by deed, dated 24th July, 12th Jac. I. An almshouse for the habitation of two poor unmarried men and one poor widow, to be chosen out of the parish of Bishop Burton ; but in case there should be none, then from any of the adjoining parishes. Each of the poor people to have £4 per annum., and the Vicar the sum of £1. 6s. 8d. The poor men and women to attend divine service in the parish Church, and not to be absent without reasonable cause. The original deed is lost, but it is recited in several others, the last of which is dated 5th and 6th May 1816. The number of poor people had (at the time of the Report) been four ever since 1778, who received £10. 10s. each, and four chaldrons of coals per annum, and the feoffees pay £1. 6s. 8d. to the Vicar of Cherry Burton ; the remainder is applied in the repairs of the almshouse, and expenses incurred by the trustees. - Vide 9th Report, page 740.
Post town: Beverley.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 531. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 40. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Burtone), page 55.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 533.
*2 Oliver's Beverley, page 491.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.