[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BISHOP WILTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peters; 4 miles N. of Pocklington. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), the Rev. William Metcalfe is the vicar, and Sir Mark Masterman Sykes, lord of the manor, the patron. Pop 570.
"Bishop Neville formerly resided in this parish, which gave rise to the name of Bishop-Wilton. Here is a field moated round, where his palace stood to this day, and the Neville's Arms are, on painted glass, in one of the windows of the church.""
"BOLTON, in the parish of Bishop Wilton, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles SW. of Bishop Wilton, 3¼ miles NW. of Pocklington. (Bolton-Hall, the seat of John Preston, Esq.) There is here no place of Worship except a small Methodist chapel. Pop. 112."
"GARROWBY NEW INN, in the township and parish of Bishop-Wilton; 12 miles from York and Sledmere."
"GOWTHORPE, in the parish of Bishop Wilton, wapentake of Harthill and liberty of St. Peter's; 2¼ miles W. of Bishop Wilton, 4 miles NW. of Pocklington. Population, (included with Youlthorpe) 111."
"GREENWICK, a single house in the parish of Bishop Wilton, and wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles ENE. of Bishop Wilton, 5 miles NE. of Pocklington."
"HIGH BELTHORPE, in the parish of Bishop Wilton, wapentake of Harthill and liberty of St. Peter's; 1 mile WSW. of Bishop Wilton, 5 miles N. of Pocklington. Population included with Bishop Wilton."
"YOULTHORPE, in the parish of Bishop Wilton, wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2 miles W. of Bishop Wilton, 5 miles NNW. of Pocklington. Population including Gowthorpe, 111."
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bishop Wilton to another place.
- Andrew Sefton has transcribed the following from documents at the Brynmor Jones Library at Hull University.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE797551 (Lat/Lon: 53.985814, -0.786036), Bishop Wilton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-18 War Memorial at Bishop Wilton.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish