Hide

BISHOP WILTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BISHOP WILTON, in the parish of its name, which with Belthorpe, forms a township, four miles north of Pocklington, and 14 from York. The church is a very ancient building dedicated to St. Edith ; the benefice is a vicarage, in the patronage of Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart. of Sledmere ; the Rev. Joseph Shooter is the incumbent. The parish contained at the last census (taken in 1831) 831 inhabitants, and the township 622 of that number.
Please see Pocklington parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."

[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]