Hide

BISHOP WILTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BISHOP WILTON, a parish in the E.R. of Yorkshire."


"YOULETHORPE, in the parish of Bishop Wilton, in the E.R. of Yorkshire, 12 m. below York, at the conflux of the Don and Humber. Here is a remarkable dike, called Youle-Dike, 10 m. long. Here are a sort of people, called triers, who with a long piece of iron, search into the soft boggy ground hereabouts for subterraneous trees, which they sometimes meet with of the fir-kind, as we read in the Philosophical Transactions, No. 28. They often meet with trees large enough to furnish timber for building, and the lesser trees they split in lathes, or cut into chips or splinters, which being tied up in bundles are sent to the Mt.-Ts. several miles off to light fires or tobacco."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]