"BISHOP WILTON, a parish in the Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. of Pocklington, its post town. It is situated at the foot of a range of chalk hills forming part of the Welds, on a branch of the river Derwent. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £148, in the patronage of Sir T. Sykes, Bart. The church, which is an ancient edifice, with a tower and lofty octagonal spire, is dedicated to St. Edith. Near it is an old moat, believed to mark the site of the palace of Archbishop Neville, who resided here in the reign of Edward IV., and whose arms appear on one of the windows of the church. At Belthorpe is a mineral spring called St. Leonard's Well. The division of the wapentake takes its name from a beacon on the summit of the wold near the village, from which there is a fine prospect over the highly-cultivated and agreeable country."
"BOLTON, a township in the parish of Bishop-Wilton, wapentake of Harthill, in the East Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N. W. of Pocklington. It extends also into the liberty of St. Peter of York. Bolton Hall is the principal residence."
"GOWTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Bishop Wilton, Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Pocklington. It forms a township with Youlthorpe. The scenery around the neighbourhood is very beautiful. The small tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1810."
"YOULTHORPE, a township in the parish of Bishop-Wilton, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Pocklington. It includes the hamlet of Gowthorpe.