BLACKTOFT: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"BLACKTOFT, a parish in the wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Blacktoft and Scalby, and containing 457 inhabitants, of which number, 278 are in the township of Blacktoft, 7 miles E.S.E. from Howden. The living is a perpetual curacy, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Howdenshire, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The village is situated on the northern bank of the Ouse, one mile above its confluence with the Trent, and there are usually vessels lying at anchor opposite to it."
"SCALBY, a township in the parish of BLACKTOFT, wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.E. from Howden, containing 179 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]