BLACKTOFT: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"BLACKTOFT, a parish in the wapentake of Howdenshire, in the East Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the S.E. of Howden, its post town. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Ouse and Trent, and includes the township of Scalby. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £220, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The parochial charities amount to £2 per annum."
"SCALBY, a township in the parish of Blacktoft, wapentake of Howdenshire, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Howden, near the Hull railway."
"STADDLETHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Blacktoft, East Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Howden. It is a station on the Hull, Selby, and Milford junction railway. The hamlet is situated near the river Humber."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013