Area, 2,730 acres. Howdenshire wapentake. -Population, 394 *1; Church-room, 500; Net value, £48. -In Blacktoft, the Bishop of Durham held three carucates of land by barony of the King in capite, which Richard Housard held of the said Bishop by the rent of 6d. per annum.
This Chapel belonged to the Monastery of Durham, and was served by a stipendiary priest, and 7th March, 4th Edward VI., was granted by the King in fee to Walter Jobson, of Kingston-upon-Hull, merchant.
Patrons and impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham, to whom the patronage was granted by statute 1st Geo. I., in consideration of their benefaction of £200.
Valued in 1707, at £20. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 231, it is stated : " A parochial Chapel. Salary, £6. 13a. 4d., so small that a minister cannot be got;" -and in 1818, at £38 per annum.
Augmented in 1776, with £200, by lot ; in 1786, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Newton Ogle, D.D.; and in 1789, with £200; in 1824, with £400; and in 1826, with £200 -all by lot.
Cheapsides, an extra-parochial place, adjoins this parish.
Inclosure Acts were passed 7th Geo. III. (Bishop Soil), and 11 th Geo. IV.
No glebe house.
The Register books commence in 1700. For earlier entries, vide transcripts in the Peculiar Court.
Ann Lakin's rent charge, by will. 30s. per annum to the poor of Blacktoft and Scalby (preference being given to widows, and such as receive least assistance from the parish). Distributed by the churchwardens at Easter and Christmas.
John Dawson's gift, by will. Interest of £5 per annum to the poor of Blacktoft.
Anonymous charity. rent charge of 10s. per annum, in bread, at Easter, Whitsuntide, and Christmas, to the poor attending the Church on those days. -Vide 11 th Report, page 753.
Post town: Howden.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1223. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 84. Drake's Eboracum, 231 (proposed Canal).
*1 Viz. Blacktoft, 267; and Scalby, 127. The Population of Cheapsides (extra-parochial) was included with Scalby in 1821.