BOYNTON, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; 2 miles W. of Bridlington. The church is dedicated to St Andrew (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a discharged vicarage, of which Sir William Strickland, Bart. is the patron. Population. 123.
On an elevated ridge, to the S. of Boynton hall, is a lofty pavillion, erected by the late Sir George Strickland, Bart. The upper room of this building, which is supported by a circular colonnade, and ascended by steps, commands a very extensive prospect, both by sea and land, particularly of Bridlington bay, and the levels at the Southern foot of the Wolds, as well as of the Northern edge of Holderness.
At Boynton is a small collection of marble statues, by the late Sir George Strickland, among which are a Juno, 4 feet 10 inches high, carrying a Fawn under her left arm, which is encircled in a wreath of fruit and flowers suspended from the right shoulder; in the right hand a bunch of flowers: it is in great preservation, and the drapery excellent. This fine statue was found in 1777 at the Torre tre teste, four miles from Rome, on the Praesnestian-way, laid on a tesselated pavement, probably the temple to which it belonged. A head of M. Junius Brutus, large as life, and of perfect and excellent sculpture. --Dallaway
In the family of the Stricklands there have been several persons of considerable eminence; and although the ancient family seat appears to have been at Strickland Hall, Westmorland, they have now resided at Boynton for upwards of 200 years. The first Baronet was Sir Wm. Strickland, July 30, 1641, the son and heir of Walter Strickland, Esq. of Boynton. The second Bart. Sir Thomas Strickland, was a considerable person in Oliver Cromwell's time. His son and successor, the 3rd Bart. died in 1724. The 4th Bart. Sir William, was elected Member in the first Parliament of Geo. I. for the city of Carlisle; he died at Boynton in 1735; and was succeeded by his son, Sir George Strickland, the 5th Bart -he was High-Sheriff for the county in 1768: he died 1808; and was succeeded by his son, the present Sir Wm. Strickland, the 6th Bart. --Betham's Baronet.
At Boynton is preserved, the thigh-bone of the famous out-law, Little John, measuring 38 inches, taken out of his grave at Hathersage, Derbyshire, about 40 years ago. --Neale's Gents. Seats, --Article, Cannon-Hall.