Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BOYNTON. Church dedication: ST. ANDREW. Church type: Unaugmented perpetual Curacy.
Area, 2,690 acres. Dickering wapentake. -Population, 114 ; Church-room, sufficient; Net value, £141. -The town of Boynton contained eighteen carucates and six oxgangs of land ; whereof ten carucates were held of the fee of Meynill, who held them of the Archbishop, and he of the King for one knight's fee. And William de Bonnington and John de Moncas held five carucates, of which the Prioress of Appleton held two oxgangs in Frankalmoigne, of the fee of Holderness. And the Church is endowed with seven oxgangs of land. And the residue, being three carucates, were held of the fee of Gant, who held the same of the King by 4s. rent, excepting part of the fee of Holderness, which paid 22½d. for castle guard.
The nuns of Nun Appleton had two oxgangs of land in Boynton.
This Church was given by Galfrid, Dispensator, to the Priory of Bridlington, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein; but Torre does not give the endowment. His list of Vicars commences in 1268. Abp. Sharp thought the presentation must be in the Crown. The last Vicar, Peter Levett, was presented by the Crown in 1666.
The Stricklands have nominated the Curates since 1750.
Patron and impropriator, Sir George Strickland, Bart.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10. 13s. 4d.; in the King's Books (the living is called a Discharged Vicarage), at £7. 14s. 2d., after deducting for Synodals 4s. and Procurations 7s. 6d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 406, it is stated: " Vicarage sequestered for the State, worth £30;" and in 1818, at £140 per annum.
Mr. Prickett notices the monuments, in his History of Bridlington Church.
23rd July 1767, a faculty was granted to rebuild the Church.
An Inclosure Act was passed 17th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1563.
Lady Strickland's gift and poor's money. Dame Elizabeth Letitia Strickland, by will, dated 24th July 1803, left £50. The interest to be applied for the relief of such poor persons residing in Boynton or Carnaby, as the Vicar of Boynton should think proper objects, from sickness or other particular distress ; and in case of no proper object being found within the year, the interest to accumulate. The principal, together with an accumulation of £10, and also a sum of £50 donor unknown, are secured on mortgage, and applied as above. -Vide 9th Report, page 721.
Post town: Bridlington.
Torre's MS. page 957. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. ii. page 231. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Bouintone,) pages 14. 30. 82. Burton's Monast. pages 217. 277. Prickett's Bridlington, page 55.
*1 Alias Bonnyngton.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.