BRANDESBURTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"BRANDESBURTON, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the N.E. of Beverley, its post town. The geological formation of this district is particularly interesting from the numerous irregular mounds of gravel and sand, which denote the ancient effects of sea-currents, for all Holderness was a sea-bed in the glacial period. Of these, the long, curved mound of Brandsburton, called the Barff, is one of the most singular, and in it have been found the remains of the mammoth. At the beginning of the 17th century the manor belonged to Lady Dacres, and was given by her to the lord mayor and aldermen of London in trust for Emanuel Hospital, Westminster, which was founded by her, and now derives a rental from these lands of £4,115 19s. 4d., which is, however, at present injudiciously applied, and requires to be investigated by a Royal Commission. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, of the annual value of £895, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church, which is chiefly in the perpendicular style, is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains a monumental brass of a priest who died in 1364, and another of one of the St. Quintins and his lady. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here, and there are free schools with an income from endowment of £25 per annum, which is augmented by the trustees of Emanuel Hospital to £160. The other parochial charities produce about £7 a year. The Holderness hounds occasionally meet at Brandsburton Moor."
"MOOR TOWN, a township in the parish of Brandesburton, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Brandsburton, and 10 N.E. of Beverley. The township is inconsiderable and wholly agricultural. The soil consists of clay and peat."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013