Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BRANDESBURTON.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,140 acres. Holderness wapentake, N.D. -Population, 611 *1 ; Church-room, 500 *2 ; Net value, £895. -The town of Brandsburton was part of the possessions of Herbert St°. Quintino.

The Church was anciently of the patronage and jurisdiction of the College of Beverley : after the Dissolution Queen Elizabeth and King James presented ; then the Noels and others presented, until the Advowson was given by Dr. Watson, formerly Bishop of St. David's, to St. John's College, Oxford : the College first presented in 1723.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £15. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books, at £24. 13s. 4d. per annum ; Synodals and Procurations 12s.; Sacrist of Beverley, £3. 6s. 8d.; Provost, 40s.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 281, it is stated : " Four oxgangs, £20; with tithes, £150. 14s."

Jurisdiction. -In the Diocese of York-vide Beverley.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1558.

Charities:
Mason's and Barker's charities. Frances Barker, widow, by will, dated 16th November 1729, reciting that her father, William Mason, whose executrix she was, bequeathed by his will to the poor of Cranswick and Brandsburton, £50 each ; and £2. 10s. per annum to each parish, to be distributed every Christmas by the minister and churchwardens to the most necessitous poor ; and further reciting, that she had joined with her husband in charging the estate at Hutton Cranswick, by deed, dated in 1720, with two annual payments of £5 to the Vicar of Cranswick, and 50s. to put children out apprentices, which brought an incumbrance thereupon ; she did therefore by deed, dated in February 1723, appropriate the sum of £200, viz., £100 to be laid out in land and the rents given to the schoolmaster half-yearly, at Christmas and Midsummer ; and £100 to the minister that serves the Cure of Cranswick. The rent charges mentioned in the will to the parishes of Brandsburton and Hutton Cranswick were settled and secured by deed, dated 1st March 1719. The rent charge of £2. 10s. is distributed by the minister and churchwardens, at Old Michaelmas, amongst poor persons in small sums, selected by them, and at their discretion.

The School land. Rent of 10a. 2r. of land, given by the said Frances Barker, let at the time of the Report for £25 per annum, which, after deducting £1 interest on Boswell's gift, is applied in educating seventeen poor children of both sexes : the boys are instructed in reading, writing, and accounts ; and the girls in reading, knitting, and sewing, and writing if their parents wish it.

Boswell's gift. This consists of a sum of £20, given by a person named as above. The money was applied, as stated under the school land charity, in defraying the expenses of the inclosure, and a minute is entered in the town's book. The interest is distributed by the minister, on Old May Day, to poor persons selected by himself.

The Rev. John Holmes's gift, by will, dated 17th February 1772. Interest of £300. One fourth part to the churchwardens and overseers respectively, and their successors for ever, of the poor of the parishes of Brandsburton; one fourth part to Barmston ; one fourth part to Ulrome, and the remaining fourth part to Skeffling, for such poor persons at Christmas as should not receive common relief. -Vide 9th Report, page 755.

Post town: Beverley.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 243. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 177. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Brantisburtone), pages 60, 243. Wood's Bodleian MS., Nos. 5078, and 5101.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Brandsburton, 583; and Moor Town, 26.

*2 In 1818, returned at 509.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.