The Ancient Parish of BRANTINGHAM
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BRANTINGHAM, a parish in the wapentakes of Harthill and Howdenshire; 2 miles SE. of South Cave. The church is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches for photograph), and the Dean and Chapter of Durham are the patrons. The Rev. John Carr, A.M. is the vicar. Pop. 174.
It was appropriated in 1458, by the Prior of Durham, to them for sustenation of eight Monks in their Monastery."
"BRANTINGHAMTHORPE, in the parish of Brantingham, and wapentake of Harthill; ¼ mile SE. of Brantingham, 2 miles SE. of South Cave. Pop. 174."
"ELLERKER, in the parish of Brantingham, wapentake of Howdenshire; 1¼ miles W. of Brantingham, 1 mile S. of South Cave. Pop. 249."
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Kelly's Directory, for East and North Ridings, 1872
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brantingham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE941297 (Lat/Lon: 53.755176, -0.574283), Brantingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish