Hide

BRANTINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BRANTINGHAM, a parish comprising the township of Thorpe-Brantingham, in the Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, and the chapelry of EUerker in the wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, and containing 423 inhabitants, of which number, 174 are in the township of Thorpe-Brantingham, if mile E.S.E. from South Cave. The living is a discharged vicarage, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Howdenshire, rated in the king's books at £12. 9. 2., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is dedicated to All Saints."


"ELLERKER, a chapelry in that part of the parish of BRANTINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile S.W. from South Cave, containing 249 inhabitants. It is within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Howdenshire. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"THORPE BRANTINGHAM, a township in that part of the parish of BRANTINGHAM, which is in the Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.W. from North Cave, containing 174 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]