Hide

BRANTINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"BRANTINGHAM, a parish, partly in the Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, and partly in the wapentake of Howdenshire, in the East Riding of the county of York, 8 miles to the W. of Hull. Brough is its post town. It lies near the Hull, Selby, and Melford Junction railway, and includes the townships of Thorpe Brantingham and Ellerker. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, of the value with the perpetual curacy of Ellerker annexed, of £255, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is dedicated to All Saints."


"ELLERKER, a township and chapelry in the parish of Brantingham, wapentake of Howdenshire, East Riding county York, 1 mile S. of South Cave, and 3 miles N.W. of Brough, its post town. The Hull and Selby railway crosses the township. The living is a curacy in the diocese of York, annexed to the vicarage of Brantingham, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes. The Bishop of Ripon is lord of the manor."


"THORPE BRANTINGHAM, a township in the parish of Brantingham, Hunsley-Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of South Cave. Thorpe Hall was built in the reign of Elizabeth."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013