BRANTINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (South Hunsley Beaoon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Rowley - Petty Sessional Division of South Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Beverley - Rural Deanery of Howden - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish is situated on the north bank of the Humber, and comprises the townships of Brantingham and Ellerker, containing 3,632 acres. The areas of the townships are not given separately. The rateable value of Brantingham, including Brantinghamthorpe, is £2,900, and the population in 1891 was 269. The soil is various - chalk in some places, and clay, sand, or loam in others; wheat, barley, oats, turnips, and seeds are the chief crops. Christopher Sykes, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
The Fauconbergs were early owners of Brantingham, and had a residence, now called Brantingham-thorpe. The earlier name of this place - Bredingham and Brettingham - had probably some reference to the Brets or Celts, who maintained undisturbed possession of the neighbouring Walling-fen.
The village is small, and stands about two-and-a-half-miles south-east of South Cave station, on the Hull and Barnsley and West Riding Junction railway, and two miles north of Brough station, on the Hull and Selby branch of the North Eastern railway. The church of All Saints is delightfully situated in a valley a little north of the village. It is a cruciform structure, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1872, at a cost of £1,900, defrayed principally through the liberality of Christopher Sykes, Esq. The style is partly Norman and partly Perpendicular. The east window is filled with stained glass, in memory of Mary Elizabeth Sykes. The west window is a memorial of the late Richard Fleetwood Shawe, who died in 1872, and is an exquisite piece of work. There are two other stained-glass memorials. In the south transept is an ancient brass, indicating the burial place of Anthony Smetheley, Esq., formerly lord of Brantingham, who died in 1578. There are 120 sittings. The register dates from 1690. The living is a vicarage, formerly belonging to the priory of Durham, now in the gift of the dean and chapter of that church, and held since 1857 by the Rev. Thomas Westmorland, M.A., Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The gross yearly value is £375, including £100 for a curate for Ellerker. At the enclosure, in 1765, the great tithes were commuted for an allotment of 450 acres and a small modus paid out of the old enclosures; and at the same time 37 acres were allotted to the vicar, and an acre to the parish clerk.
The poor have the interest of £200 left by Miss Maria Simpson, of Brantingham, in 1840, to be given in blankets and other needful or useful clothing.
Brantinghamthorpe is an estate containing 1,486 acres, belonging to Chris. Sykes, Esq., M.P., who purchased it from the late Richard Fleetwood Shawe, Esq. The Hall is a large Elizabethan mansion, surrounded by extensive pleasure grounds and gardens. It is now occupied by John Edward Wade, Esq.
ELLERKER is a township and chapelry abutting on the estuary of the Humber, and includes about 80 acres of foreshore and 650 acres of tidal waters. There are 2,031 acres of land under assessment, the rateable value of which is £7,108. The population in 1891 was 299. The soil is various, and the crops are the same as those of Brantingham. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and Christopher Sykes, Esq., M.P., Charles E. Gee Barnard, Esq., J.P., Cave Castle; the trustees of the late J. B. Ellerker, Mr. Norrison Marshall Levitt, and Mr. T. G. Waller are the principal landowners.
The village is pleasantly situated about one mile west of Brantingham, and two-and-a-half miles north-by-west from Brough station, on the Hull and Selby railway, which passes through the township. The chapel is an edifice of stone, rebuilt and enlarged in 1844, at an expense of £800, raised by a rate and by contributions from the landowners and others. It consists of chancel, with vestry on the north side, nave, porch, and an open bell turret. The living is annexed to Brantingham,
The National school stands on the road between Ellerker and Brantingham, and was erected in 1845, at a cost of £300. There is accommodation for 80 children, and an average attendance of 59.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.