Brantingham Registers - Miscellaneous.
Transcription of the Brantingham Registers - Miscellaneous.
Miscellaneous entries in the Parish Registers.
1902. PREFACE. THE parish of Brantingham comprised the chapelries of Blacktoft and Ellerker. The living was appropriated by the Bishop of Durham to the Prior and Convent, who probably sent relays of clergy to minister to the three churches. Blacktoft had a separate register, but that at Brantingham included Ellerker. The following registers commence in 1653, and are comprised in five hooks (up to 1812). The first consists of eight leaves of parchment, measuring 12 by 7 inches, and has a parchment cover. The second contains sixty-four parchment leaves, 14 by 64 inches, and has a parchment cover. The third is a marriage register, with paper leaves and a cardboard cover, and measures 16 by 10 inches. The fourth is also a marriage register, on paper 15 by 91 inches, and was "lost for many years." The fifth book measures 15 by 74 inches, contains sixty-seven parchment leaves (only seventeen of which have been utilised), and is bound in leather. The writing is on the whole fairly legible, and the books are in good preservation. There were several testamentary burials at Brantingham prior to these registers. Amongst others Anthony Smetheley of Brantingham, who died in 1577, having directed that he should be "buried near his father and mother, and that a great stone be sett in the inside of the Church wall near his grave, and thereon be engraven his name and arms." The register of the burial of Thomas Jobson, 9 July, 1800, has an interesting note. The thanks of the Society are due to the Vicar, the Rev. B. S. WILSON, for his great courtesy in affording access to the MSS., and for assisting in the correction of the proofs. G. E. W. THORNTON HOUSE, NEAR BROUGH, E.R.
CONTENTS. Book I. Marriages 1654-1666 Baptisms 1653-1664 Burials 1653-1664 Book II. Marriages 1663-1754 Baptisms 1663-1792 Burials 1663-1792 Book III. Marriages 1754-1792 Book IV. Marriages 1793-1812 Book V. Baptisms 1793-1812 Burials 1793-1812
Memorandum That Marmaduke Skelton was sworne before me Phillipp Saltmarshe Esq. one of the Justices of the Peace for the Eastridd of the County of York this 22rd day of October 1653-to be Register for the Registring of all the Birthes of children Mariages and Burialls within the Parish of Brantingham according to the late Act of Parliament in that case made and provided. Phi: Saltmarshe
Remember That Marmaduke Skelton the younger was Sworne before me Phillipp Saltmershe Esq. one of his Highnisse the Lo: Protectors Justices of the Peace for the Eastridd of the County of Yorke the 30th day of November 1656 to be Register for the Registring of all Birthes of Children, Mariages and Burialls within the Parishe of Brantingham according to a late Act of Parliament in that case made and provided. The two twines of Phillip Ellerker of Brantingham being both man children was borne 16th December 1656.
So far carried into Court The reverse of the Book commences: Decr 11 1780. In the Terrier delivered into Court, at the Archbishop of York's visitation, at Hull, the Vicarage of Brantingham is set forth as possessing a Garth on the West side of which are Lands which are the property of Isaac Broadley Esqre the stone wall between which lands is the Vicar's and maintained by him as a Fence between them ; The said Isaac Broadley Esq. having asked leave this day to rest the Gable of an intended Holm upon a small part of thc wall. Leave is given him so to do by the Vicar on condition that He or his tenant shall henceforth keep the same in good and sufficient repair Isaac Broadley Jas Forster, Vicar The Revd Thos Brown Curate of Brantingham Novr 24th 1782
The Revd Thos Brown Curate of Brantingham Novr 24 1782 Mem: That Thomas Bowman A.B. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham 5th August 1755 by W Randolph Hancock Rector of Walkington Memorandum That James Forster A.B. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham 17th December 1768 by the Revd Ran: Hancock Rector of Walkington Memorand : That Willm Richardson M.A. was inducted into ye vicaridge of Branting- ham on 2nd March 1699 by Mr Stephen Thompson Vicar of Welton Memorandum That Matw Whitaker A.B. was inducted into ye Vicarage of Brantingham 2 Octr 1742 by Mr Thomas Willan Curate of Welton
Carried into Court to this Place at the Visitation held at Howden on Friday 26 April 1793 [BOOK IV.] This Book was bought at Hull Jany 1 1793 Joseph Chapman and William Todd Churchwardiners Thos H. Brown Curate of Brantingham 1793 [This Register Book was taken away by someone from the Parish Chest, and was lost for many years. It seems to have been in the possession of two Parish Clerks, S. Levitt and John Harland. It was given up to the Vicar June 23, 1866.]
The Yew & other Trees were planted in the Brantingham Church Yard in the month of February 1859 by Thos Westmorland, Vicar
Memorandum that William Richardson M.A. was inducted to the Vicarage of Brantingham on the second day of March 1699
Memorandum That Mathew Whitaker A.B. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham 2nd October 1742
Memorandum That Thos Bowman A.B. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham on 5th August 1755
Memorandum That James Forster A.B. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham ye 17th December 1768
Memorandum That Thos Davison was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham 14th April 1793 by the Revd Thos Brown Minister of Blacktoft
Memorandum That Robert Fenwick A.M. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham on Friday 3rd October 1794 by the Revd Mr Brown Minister of Blacktoft
Memndum That Joshua Stopford A.M. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham on 31 July 1808 by the Revd Robert Poole
Memorandum That John Carr A.M. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham on 8th Feby 1818
Memorandum that Samuel Margelston A.M. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham 19 Jany 1834
George Fyler Townsend M.A. was inducted to the Vicarage of Brantingham on Sunday Octr 2 1843 by the Revd Edwin Hotham M.A. Vicar of South Cave who met him before the afternoon service at the Church door in his surplice and inducted him in the presence of the congregation
Memorandum That Thomas Westmorland A.M. was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham on 18 Decr 1857 by the Revd H. F. Inman Vicar of South Cave
Memorandum That Beverley Smelt Wilson B.A. (Cambridge) was instituted publicly by His Grace William Archbishop of York in the Parish Church on Friday Novr 11 1892 and was inducted into the Vicarage of Brantingham on Novr 23 1892 by the Revd Wm Bennett Vicar of Elloughton
A publication by the Yorkshire Parish Register Society
published in the year 1902
Transcribed by Colin Hinson
This page © 2020