Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BRANTINGHAM. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 3,040 acres. Howdenshire wapentake *1. -Population, 468 *2; Church-room, 190 *3; Net value, £176. -This Church was part of St. Cuthbert's patrimony, and was appropriated to the Monastery of Durham, and a Vicarage ordained therein 4th August 1458 ; and on 4th August 1459, the Monastery was charged with 3s. 4d. per annum to the Church of York, and 3s. 4d. per annum to the poor of the parish.
King Edward VI. granted the Advowson to Walter Jobson, of Hull ; but the Dean and Chapter of Durham have presented ever since 1625. They are also impropriators.
Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
In Pope Nicholas's taxation, the Church is valued at £73. 6s. 8d. per annum ; the value is given from Bacon. The Vicarage is valued in the King's books, at £12. 9s. 2d.; Synodals and Procurations, 17s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 231, the Impropriation at £200, and the Vicarage at £30. 13s. 4d. per annum.
An Inclosure Act was passed 5th Geo. III.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 unfit for residence, but about to be rebuilt ; and in 1834, unfit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1653.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: South Cave.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1241. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 86. Mon. Ang., vol. iv. page 676. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bredingham), pages 61. 77. 233. 237.
*1 Part of the parish is in Harthill wapentake, Hunslet Beacon, Brantingham division.
*2 Viz. Brantingham, 124; Ellerker, 278; and Thorpe, 66.
*3 In 1818, the Church-room in Brantingham and Ellerker was returned at 400.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.