BRIDLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"BRIDLINGTON, (or Burlington) a parish in the E.R. of Yorkshire, near Flamborough-head, 10 leagues from the Spurn-head, 162 cm. and 105 mm. from London, is on a bay, which is a safe harbour, in strong gales of wind and winter storms, from the N.N.W. and N.E. It is a place of great trade, and has a good corn Mt. on S. and a Fair on Nov. 7. Mr. William Hustler, grandfather to Sir William, was a great benefactor to it. The key which is chiefly frequented by colliers, and inhabited by seafaring people, lies near 2 m. from the T. which is about 5 furlongs in length, and gives title of E. to the noble family of Boyle, Here was formerly a priory."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]