Wapentake of Harthill (South Hunsley Division) - County Council Electoral Division of South Cave - Petty Sessional Division of South Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Howden - Rural Deanery of Howden - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
In 1861 the townships of Broomfleet and Faxfleet were detached from South Cave and formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish. In the former township there are 1,567 acres of land, four acres of water, 420 of tidal water, and 466 of foreshore. Its rateable value is £6,419, and the number of inhabitants in 1891 was 243. Charles Edward Gee Barnard, Esq., South Cave Castle, who is lord of the manor; Prickett's Trustees and J.E. Althorpe are the principal landowners. The parish lies on the north bank of the Humber, and a considerable portion of the land has been formed by the warping or silting which is constantly going on along the banks of the estuary. The subsoil is sand and clay, and the principal crops are wheat, beans, oats, and barley.
The manor was owned at an early period by the Bromfletes, a family of considerable repute in south Yorkshire, who intermarried with the Vescis.
The village stands near the river four miles south-west from Cave, three miles south-south-east from Newport station on the Hull and Barnsley and West Riding Junction railway, and five miles from Brough station on the Hull and Selby branch of the North-Eastern railway. It is said to have formerly been larger than at present, and Chapel Croft near the river, is pointed out as the site of an ancient chapel-of-ease to the mother church of Cave; but this chapel disappeared long ago, without leaving any history behind. The present church of St. Mary the Virgin was erected in 1861, and opened by the Archbishop of York on November 30th of the same year. It is a neat edifice of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch, and bell turret. The whole cost was defrayed by Mrs. Barnard and her husband Henry Gee Barnard, Esq., and the latter endowed the living, which is now worth about £90 a year. It is a vicarage, in the patronage of Charles Edward Gee Barnard, Esq., J.P., and held by the Rev. William Glegge, B.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge.
There are chapels here belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists; the latter was built in 1861, at a cost of £136, and will seat 80 persons.
A School Board was formed December, 1880, to which Faxfleet is contributory, and sends two members. The school is a structure of white brick, with master's house attached, erected in 1883, for the accommodation of 80 children. Mr. Robert Bruce, South Cave, is clerk to the Board.
The Market Weighton canal communicates with the Humber at Broomfleet, where there is a lock. Vessels carrying from 70 to 75 tons can ascend as far as Newport, and above that point there is only a depth of water sufficient for boats of 30 or 35 tons. The canal is the property of the North-Eastern Railway Co., and is now but little used.
FAXFLEET is a township on the bank of the Humber, adjoining Broomfleet township, containing 1,713 acres of land, belonging chiefly to J. H. Atkinson Jowett, Esq., Bolton, Bradford (lord of the manor); the trustees of J. P. Weddall; John Seaton West Kirkpatrick, Esq., Market Weighton; and C. G. M. Gaskell, Esq., Wakefield. The township is valued for rating purposes at £4,672, and has a population of 206, a decrease of 43 since 1881. The soil is a rich alluvium, with clay land in some places, and a considerable portion of it is in grass.
The abbot of Thornton, in the county of Lincoln, claimed certain lands and privileges in Faxfleet, as appears from the pleas of Quo Warranto, held at York, before Henry de Cressingham and his associates, justices itinerant. The Knights. Templars had also lands here which were given to them on their first introduction into England, probably by one of the Vescis, lords of Bromflete, who a little later founded a preceptory of the Order at North Terriby. There appears to have been a branch establishment here, of which William de la Fenn was preceptor in 1310, and gave evidence in the proceedings at York, prior to the suppression of the Order. One of the main drains in the township bears the name of Templedam to this day. The manor subsequently belonged to the Scropes of Masham.
The village of Faxfleet is small, and stands on the north bank of the Humber, at its confluence with the Trent, nine miles east from Howdon, and four miles south-by-east from Staddlethorpe station, on the Hull and Selby branch of the North-Eastern railway. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, built about. 40 years ago. Faxfleet Hall, formerly known as South Hall, is a large building of brick, now occupied by Mr. John Shaw, farmer. North Hall, the property of Weddall's trustees, is the residence of F. Blossom Oliver, Esq., who farms the estate. The poor of Faxfleet have the rent of a field awarded at the enclosure and now let for £3 per annum.
The township is intersected by the Market Weighton canal, and includes part of Wallingfen and the hamlet of Osmerdyke or Oxmerdyke. This was once a mere or lake, overflowed by the tides, from which it is now preserved by embankments.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.