Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Bubwith:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Bubwith:


"BREIGHTON, in the parish of Bubwith, and wapentake of Harthill; 1½ miles SSW. of Bubwith, 5 miles NW. of Howden. Pop. 179."


"FOGGATHORPE, in the parish of Bubwith, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¾ miles ENE. of Bubwith, 6 miles N. of Howden. In this township the system of letting out small parcels of land to the labourers, for cow-gates, has been attended with great success, and also with a reduction of the poor's rates. Population, 137."


"GRIBTHORPE, or GRIPTHORPE, in the parish of Bubwith, and wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles E. of Bubwith, 5 miles N. of Howden. Population, (with Willeytoft) 145."


"GUNBY, in the parish of Bubwith, and wapentake of Harthill; ½ mile SSW. of Bubwith, 5 miles NNW. of Howden. This township was given by William the Conqueror to Gilbert Tyson his standard-bearer, + This place, formerly Guneby, was given by William the conqueror to his standard bearer, Gilbert Tyson; it afterwards gave sirname to the family, from it called De Guneby, which resided here for many generations, in the 13th and 14th centuries, and has been the successive residence of the de Gunnebys, the Knights, the Dolmans, and the Vavasours. The old mansion house was taken down about 50 years ago."


"HARLTHORPE, in the parish of Bubwith, and wapentake of Harthill; 1¾ miles ENE. of Bubwith, 4½ miles N. of Howden. Pop. 93."


"SPALDINGTON, in the parish of Bubwith, and wapentake of Harthill; 3½ miles ESE. of Bubwith, 4 miles N. of Howden. The hall at this place was formerly the seat of the ancient and honourable family of Vavasour, but now the property of Lord Howden, it exhibits a fine specimen of architecture of the time of Queen Elizabeth. Population 361."


"SPALDINGTON OUTSIDE, in the parish of Bubwith, and wapentake of Harthill; 4 miles NNE. of Howden. (This is a poorly defined area to the E.N.E. of Spaldington [Richard Harris 2008])."


"WILLITOFT, in the parish of Bubwith, and wapentake of Harthill; 2 miles ESE. of Bubwith, 5½ miles NW. of Howden. Population with Gribthorpe, 145.

In the time of Charles I. the family of the Vavasours resided here; the Hall is now used as a farm house."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]