[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"BUGTHORPE, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose, and liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles NNW. of Pocklington. The parish church at this place is a small building (see Churches for photograph), of which the Rev. Christopher Roberts, is the vicar and patron. -Population 281."
"THORALDBY, a farm house in the township and parish of Bugthorpe; ½ mile NNW. of Bugthorpe, 6 miles from Pocklington, 12 from York."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 160 gravestones in Bugthorpe Churchyard with a surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Bugthorpe in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bugthorpe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE773579 (Lat/Lon: 54.011338, -0.821918), Bugthorpe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)