Hide

Burnby Parish information from Bulmers' 1892.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

BURNBY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

Wapentake of Harthill (Wilton Beacon Division) - County Council Electorial Division of Huggate - Petty Sessional Division of Wilton Beacon - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Pocklinglon - Rural Deanery of Weighton - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.

Burnby is a small parish of one township, containing 1,700 acres and 115 inhabitants. It is intersected by the York, Market Weighton, and Beverley railway, which passes the west end of the village, where there is a station named Nunburnholme, to prevent any miscarriage of goods arising from a confusion of the name of this place with Burnley, in Lancashire. The soil is a rich clay, and the subsoils are clay and chalk. Wheat, barley, oats, turnips, and beans, are the principal crops, but a considerable portion of the land is laid down in grass. The rateable value is £1,761. Sir Charles Anderson, Bart., of Lea Hall, Gainsborough, is lord of the manor, and owner of the whole parish with the exception of the glebe.

The village of Burnby is small, but pleasantly situated, about two-and-three-quarter miles south-east of Pocklington, and four miles north-west from Market Weighton. The church (St. Giles) is an ancient structure of stone, exhibiting some Norman work. It consists of chancel and nave, with western bell gable, containing two bells. A covering of ivy adds picturesqueness to its venerable age. There was originally a north aisle, and marks of the four circular arches which divided it from the nave may be seen in the wall. The chancel retains it ancient triple sedilia, and a round-headed window with dog-tooth ornament. In the floor are several ancient sepulchral slabs, one of which bears the date 1683. The font is ancient, and partly built into the wall. The doorway, at the west end, was erected by the late rector. The interior was restored in 1872. The registers date from the year 1584. The living is an ancient rectory, formerly in the gift of the Lords Deyncourt, who held the manor under the Archbishops of York, and now in the patronage of the Earl of Londesborough. It is valued in the Liber Regis at £7 15s., and is now worth £310 net, including 48 acres of glebe, with residence. The tithe rent-charge is £242. The present rector, the Rev. John Mack Williams, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin, has held the living since 1861.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]

Directories

  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.