Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Source=h:/!Genuki/RecordTranscriptions/ERY/ERYChCollection.txt

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BURNBY.     Church dedication: SAINT GILES.     Church type: Discharged Rectory.

Area, 2,100 acres. Harthill wapentake. Wilton Beacon. -Population, 93 *1; Church-room, sufficient *2; Net value, £318. -The town of Burnby was held by Edmund Deyncourt of the fee of the Archbishop of York for one knight's fee ; and the Church is endowed with two oxgangs of land.

At the time of Domesday Survey, the manor of Burnby belonged to the Archbishop of York.

The Rectory was of the patronage of the Deyncourts, from them of the Fulthorps, and so came to the Bromfletes, Lords Vescy, and from them of the Cliffords, Earls of Cumberland. Lord Mansfield presented in 1769, since which time the Dukes of Devonshire have presented.

The Priory of Ellerton had one oxgang of land here, given by Robert de Tibethorpe.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £5; in the King's books, at £7. 14s. 10d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 389, at £30; and in 1818, at £98. 19s. 6d. per annum.

Part of the township is in the parish of Hayton, and within the jurisdiction of the Dean of York, and certain tithes belong to the Dean of York.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1584. Deficient in 1625 and 1626.

Charities:
Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. 3s. 4d. per annum to the poor.

Dole. £3, donor unknown. The interest of this, with the sacrament money and Wood's dole, are distributed yearly among the most needy and deserving persons in the parish, selected by the overseers. - Vide 11th Report, page 724.

Post town: Pocklington.


References:
Torre's MS. (East Riding), page 1169, and (Peculiars), page 713. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 28. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bru-nebi, Bonnebi), pages 13. 44. 155. 170. Burton's Monast., pages 260. 382.


Notes:
*1 But in the Parliamentary Return, in 1818, is stated 1,175. -1n 1834, the Population was returned at 95.

*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 170.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.