"BURTON AGNES, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, in the East Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S.W. of Bridlington. Hull is its post town. It is a station on the Scarborough, Bridlington, and Hull branch of the North-Eastern railway. The parish comprises the townships of Burton-Agnes, Gransmoor, Haisthorpe, and Thornholm-on-the-Wolds. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value with the perpetual curacy of Harpham annexed, £897, in the gift of the Hon. and Very Rev. A. Duncombe. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. The charitable endowments of the parish amount to about £60 a year, and consist chiefly of the produce of a bequest by Richard Green in 1563, one third of which is applied to the support of a free school. The schoolhouse is an ancient building adjoining the church. There is an endowed almshouse for four widows. Burton House, a mansion erected by Inigo Jones, is the seat of the Boynton family."
"GRANSMOOR, a township in the parish of Burton Agnes, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Burton Agnes, and 6 S.W. of Bridlington. The chapel-of-ease is a modern structure. There is a National school. W. D. T. Duesbery, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole proprietor."
"HAISTHORPE, a township in the parish of Burton-Agnes, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Burton-Agnes, and 4 S.W. of Bridlington. The whole township belongs to Sir Henry Boynton, Bart., who is lord of the manor. Haisthorpe Lodge is the principal residence."
"THORNHOLME, a township in the parish of Burton-Agnes, wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 4½ miles S.W. of Bridlington. William St. Quintin, Esq., is lord of the manor."