Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BURTON AGNES.     Church dedication: ST. MARTIN.     Church type: Vicarage in charge.

Area, 6,540 acres. Dickering wapentake. -Population, 653 *1; Church-room, 450 *2; Net value, £897. -In 1299, Sir William de St. Quintin, knt. lord of Harpham, gave to the Abbot and Monks of Fountains, a free road and chase for carriages, &c. beyond the moor of Burton Agnes, of forty feet in breadth.

The Abbey of Byland also held an oxgang of land with a toft, one acre and a rood of land in Haisthorpe.

The Church and tithes were given by Gosfred Baynard to the Abbey of St. Mary's, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein 4 Non. September 1235 ; and in 1619, the Crown presented by lapse, the patronage afterwards went into the Bridgewater family, and then to the St. Quintin's.

Here was a Chantry, founded by Robert de Somervile.

King Henry VIII. on the 6th February, 36th year of his reign, granted the advowson of this Church to the See of York; but in the grant, the advowson was by error said to have belonged to St. Mary's Abbey, which was not then suppressed. In 1600, the Archbishop collated William Crashaw, upon which the heirs of the Earl of Derby brought a quare impedit, and judgment was given against Crashaw, but afterwards Crashaw was reinstated. -Vide Cook's Entries, 494.

Patron, R. Raikes, Esq.

Impropriator, T. St. Quintin, Esq.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £44, new taxation, £34; in the King's books, the Vicarage was valued at £20. 6s. 2d.; Synodals 7s. 6d.; Procuration 8s.; Pension to the Abbot of St. Mary, £10. 13s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 411, at £65 per annum.

"The Vicarage cum Capella de Harpham, is endowed with the third part of all the great tithes in the three common fields, and with all the tithes of the old enclosures; the other two parts of the tithes belong to the Church of York, to the Archbishop, or his proctors. The endowment is not to be found in Scriptis, but supposed so by custom ; the value is above £120 per annum. The present Archbishop claimed the right of presentation, but it was adjudged against him by the two Judges to whom it was referred, about Easter 1703." Signed, " Jo. Burghope, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 242.

15th May 1730, a faculty was granted to shorten the Chancel of this Church.

21st March 1763, a licence was granted to erect a monument to the memory of Sir Griffith Boynton, Bart.

An Inclosure Act was passed 13th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence. It was rebuilt under a faculty granted 13th October 1760.

The Register Books commence in 1700.

Charities:
Green's charity and Free School. Founded by the will of Richard Green, dated 15th February 1563. Endowment : 35a. of land, and a farmhouse, bought in the reign of William III. with £200 left by the founder ; 6s. 8d. per annum is paid to the churchwardens for their trouble, and the residue of the rent is divided into three parts, one of which is paid to the schoolmaster, who instructs the poor gratuitously in reading; one-third is distributed among the poor, and the remaining third is applied towards the repairs of the Church. The schoolmaster charges a moderate quarterage for writing and arithmetic.

Payment out of land. The sum of £8. 4s. 9d. is annually paid out of a field called Moorhouse Field, comprising between fifty and sixty acres, and distributed among the poor.

Rev. George Burghope's gift, in 1716. Interest of £35; one-third to the Minister, for preaching a sermon on preparation for death ; the other two-thirds to the poor, who shall be present, or really sick. It appears that a distribution of the principal (which bad been placed in the hands of Sir Griffith Boynton) took place among the poor.

TOWNSHIP OF HAISTHORPE.

Town stock, £56. The interest is annually distributed among the poor. -Vide 11th Report, page 718.

Post town: Kilham.


References:
Torre's MS., page 977. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 207. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bertune, Grenzmore, Haschetorp, Thirnon,) pages 15. 223. 233. 235. Burton's Monast. page 219. Mon. Angl. vol. iii. pages 332, 333. Prickett's Bridlington, page 126.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Burton Agnes, 350; Gransmoor, 93; Haisthorpe, 117; and Thornholme, 93. In 1834, returned at 648.

*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 700.


Other information:
GRANSMOOR *3. -The Prior of Bridlington held half a carucate of land of Gant, and he of the King.

On the 5th April 1361, a Chantry was founded in the Chapel of Gransmoor, by Walter de Harpham, Vicar of Gilling, for the remission of his own sins, and the sins of Sir William de St. Quintino, lord of Harpam, and others.

Here was a Chantry, which was valued at the Dissolution, at £3. 16s. 4d. per annum.

THORNHOLME, in this parish, contained seven carucates of land, whereof ten oxgangs were held of Maurley, who held of Brus, and he of the King, by no rent.

Here twenty-one carucates made a knight's fee.

And the Prior of Bridlington held half a carucate of Gant, and he of the King, by no rent; whereof ten carucates made a knight's fee.

HASSELHORPE. - Another town, which contained five carucates of land, whereof two were of the liberty of Saint John of Beverley, and three were held by William de Hasselhorpe, of the fee of Maurley, who held the same of Brus, and he of the King in capite, by no rent.

*3 Alias Crancemore.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.