Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: BURTON FLEMING. Church dedication: NORTH BURTON. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 3,590 acres. Dickering wapentake. -Population, 414; Church-room, 200 *1; Net value, £84. -In the town of Burton Fleming are eighteen carucates of land, whereof the Prior of Bridlington held twelve carucates, and the Prior of St. Oswald of Nostell one carucate, in frankalmoigne ; and the residue, being five carucates, were held by Hugh Fitz-Ralf, who held the same of the fee of Gant, and he of the King, in capite, for one knight's fee and a half, and 5s. rent per annum.
The Canons of Bridlington had large possessions here.
A rent charge of half a mark out of two oxgangs of land here was payable to the monks of Nostell.
The Nuns of Keeling had also some possessions in this parish.
This Chapel was given by Walter de Gant to the Abbey of Bardney, with the other Chapels of Hunmanby, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein in 1296.
This has been held as a Curacy, and the Osbaldestons have nominated since 1742, and H. Osbaldeston, Esq., is the present patron.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £5; in the King's books (where it is called a Discharged Vicarage), the Living is valued at £6. 4s.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. p. 414, it is stated: " Northburton. A Chapel belonging to the parish of Hunmanby. The Vicarage is worth £13. 13s. 4d. yearly ;" -and in 1818, at £70. 18s. per annum.
Augmented in 1767, with £200; in 1786, with £200; and in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant-all by lot.
" A pension of £3 a year is payable by the Rectors of North Burton, in Yorkshire, to the Crown or its grantees. -Tempest v. Barker." -2 Wood, page 560.
" The Chapel of North Burton belongs to the mother Church of Hunmanby. All the tithe corn is impropriated: The tithe of lambs is impro, priated to Sir Richard Osbaldeston. The Chapel is endowed with all the tithe wool, hay, Easter book, a little close, and all the small tithes ; yearly value, about £10." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 869.
An Inclosure Act was passed 8th Geo. III.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1538.
Thomas Sweden's gift, by will, in 1773. Interest of £30, expended in white bread for the poor, on three Sundays in each month. -Vide 9th Report, page 732.
Post town: Kilham.
Torre's MS., page 928. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 225. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bertune). It is impossible, from the number of Bertunes mentioned in the Survey, to give a more particular reference. Burton's Monasticon, pages 219, 220. 304. 386.
*1 As returned in 1818. No return was made in 1834.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.