Hide

Carnaby Parish information from Bulmers' 1892.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

CARNABY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.

Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Dickering - County Council Electoral Division of Burton Agnes - Poor Law Union and County Court District of Bridlington- - Rural Deanery of Bridlington - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.

This parish embraces the townships of Carnaby, Fraisthorpe, and Auburn, comprising an area of 3,930 acres, and a population of 308. The first-named township contains 1,944 acres of land, of which 1,851 are under assessment, rateable value £2,649, and population (1891) 200. Sir Charles Strickland, Bart., D.L., is lord of the manor and owner of the greater part of the parish. The soil is a mixture of loam and clay, the subsoil chalk and clay, and the chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley.

The manor anciently belonged to the Percys, who held it of the king in capite by an annual rent of 8s. 4d, Robert de Percy gave the church to the Prior and Convent of Bridlington, by whom the successive vicars were appointed until the Reformation.

The village is pleasantly situated 2½ miles S.W. of Bridlington, and near the station of its own name, on the Scarborough and Hull branch of the North Eastern Railway. The church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing two bells. This church is a melancholy example of the cheese-paring policy which too frequently exhibited itself in the restoration of ecclesiastical edifices after the Reformation. The north aisle has been taken down, and the north wall, as well as the chancel, rebuilt of brick, and then or subsequently the south wall has been repaired in the same way. The tower is wholly of stone, and in the Perpendicular style. The nave is separated from the aisles by pointed arches resting on five octagonal piers, the caps of which are ornamented with a very minute border of toothed moulding. The doorway of the porch is semicircular and plain. The windows of the aisle are lancet, and those in the chancel square headed. The font is ancient and very curiously carved. There are very few memorials in the church. A flat stone in the chancel records the death of "Mr. Francis Vickerman, Esq., a lover of learning and a pattern of piety A.D. 1616." There is a fragment of another stone to a member of the same family, and also one to Annas, wife of - Boynton, Esq., who died A.D. 1623. The nave was re-roofed and the interior restored in 1891, and it is expected that the chancel and south aisle will shortly be rebuilt. The registers date from the year 1596. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the Liber Regis at £7 8s. 11½d., now worth about £50 per annum, including about 14 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Charles William Strickland, Bart., D.L. and held by the Rev. Coleman Ivens who is also vicar of Boynton. The patronage belonged to the priors of Bridlington. On the dissolution of that house, it reverted to the Crown, and in the reign of Charles I., it was transferred to an ancestor of the present owner.

The Wesleyan chapel, which stands on an eminence in the village, was built in 1876, at a cost of £600, and will seat 190. Service is held every Sunday evening at six o'clock by a minister from Bridlington. The parochial school was built in 1871, for the accommodation of 70 children, and is under the care of a mistress.

About a mile north of the village is an octagonal building called Carnaby Temple, erected by Sir George Strickland in the latter part of the last century. The basement is a small crypt; above this was a colonnade of eight circular-headed arches supporting the upper room, which had four windows facing the cardinal points. The colonnade is now walled up, converting it into an apartment. The top chamber is surmounted by a huge leaden ball weighing about 16 stones. The walls were originally covered with frescoes, and bear names and dates reaching as far back as 1771. The Temple is now used as a store room.

At the time of the Domesday Survey, and for some years subsequently, there was a village in this parish called Kilburn, hut it disappeared long ago, and its very site has been forgotten. It contained two carucates of land, whereof one carucate was held of Menyll, who held it of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and he of the king in capite. The other was held of the fee of Percy, who held it of the king by an annual rent of 4d. This lost village must have been one of some magnitude and importance, as it contained a chapel, dedicated to the honour of St. Lawrence the Martyr, wherein was a chantry founded by the Lords Darcy, who were the patrons of it.

There is a field on the south side of the village, called Hall Close, a name evidently indicative of the presence, at some time or other, of a hall or mansion, and the foundations of the buildings have been dug up from time to time. A local writer has suggested that these foundations may be part of the remains of the lost village of Kilburn.

In a garden near the entrance to the village stands a small column, erected by the late H. Robinson, Esq., in honour of Melbourne, a celebrated race horse, bred there in 1830, and died in 1859. The cups and money prizes which it won amounted to several thousands of pounds.

The charities amount to £14 a year, which are divided between Carnaby and Boynton.

FRAISTHORPE is a township and chapelry in this parish. It contains 1,782 acres of land, 95 inhabitants, and is valued for rating purposes at £1,524. Sir Charles William Strickland, Bart., D.L., is sole landowner and lord of the manor.

The village is small, and stands about 4½ miles south of Bridlington. The chapel, dedicated to St. Edmund, is a low, mean brick building, consisting of chancel and nave. The communion table is an old stone slab, resting on a wooden frame. This was the pre-Reformation altar, which remained in spite of the episcopal injunction, issued in the reign of Elizabeth, to banish all Popish altars from every church, and substitute tables of oak in their place. The living is a perpetual curacy, united to the vicarage of Carnaby, worth about £30 a year. An effort is now being made to raise a sum of from £200 to £300, to be expended in the restoration of the chapel, as a memorial of the good work achieved by Miss Mary Emily Simpson among the farm servants of the neighbourhood, and described by her in a volume called "Ploughing and Sowing."

AUBURN is a township on the sea-coast, containing 265 acres, of which 75 are in the parish of Bridlington. Its rateable value is £233, and the number of inhabitants 13. There was formerly a village, which is mentioned in Domesday Book, and a church; but these have been washed away by the encroachments of the sea, and a farmhouse and a cottage are all that remain of the ancient chapelry of Auburn. On the 25th of September, 1731, a faculty was granted to take down the chapel of Auburn, as it was in imminent danger of disappearing under the sea like the rest of the village ; and, by a license dated 20th December of the same year, the curacy of Auburn was annexed to Fraisthorpe. The font, which was removed before the cliff on which the chapel stood was washed away, is mow in Wragby Church, in the West Riding. One of the bells is preserved at Boynton Hall, and the other at Nostel Priory.

[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]

Directories

  • Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.