Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Source=h:/!Genuki/RecordTranscriptions/ERY/ERYChCollection.txt

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: CARNABY.     Church dedication: ST. JOHN BAPTIST.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 1,950 acres. Dickering wapentake. -Population, 155 ; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, £44.

The Priories of Bridlington and Helagh Park had possessions in Carnaby.

The Church of Carnaby was given by Robert de Percy to the Prior and Convent of Bridlington, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein. The Stricklands have presented since Archbishop Sharp's time.

Patron and impropriator, Sir George Strickland, Bart.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £16; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £7. 8s. 10d. after deducting for Synodals 4s., and Procurations 7s. 6d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 405, it is stated: " The impropriation worth £110 £40 paid to the Minister ;" -and in 1818, at £40 per annum.

Augmented in 1816, with £200; and in 1829, with £200 -both by lot.

No glebe house.

Torre's first Vicar was instituted in 1292.

The Register Books commence in 1596.

Charities:
Poor's Money. The sum of £25, part of a benefaction of £50 given by some persons unknown, was, at the time of the Report, in the hands of Mr. George Robinson, and the interest distributed on the 29th May among poor widows and other poor. The remainder of the £50 has been lost many years ago through insolvency.

Lady Strickland's gift. Vide Boynton. Vide 9th Report, page 733.

Post town: Bridlington.


References:
Torre's MS.,page 989. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 21. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Cherendbi), page 227. Burton's Monasticon, pages 221. 283. Prickett's Bridlington, page 54. Mon. Angl., vol. i. page 284.


Further information:
KILBURN, a town in the parish of Carnaby, contained two carucates of land, whereof one was held of Meynill, who held it of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and he of the King, in capite.

There was a Chapel in this town of Kilburn, dedicated to the honour of St. Lawrence the Martyr, wherein was a Chantry, founded by the Lords Darcy, who were patrons of it.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.