The Ancient Parish of CATWICK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CATWICK, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness. 7¼ miles NE of Beverley. The church is a small gothic structure (see Churches for photograph) dedicated to St Michael of which the King is patron, and of which Rev John Torre is rector Population 190"
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 130 gravestones in Catwick Churchyard with a surname index.
- Transcript of the entry for Catwick in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Catwick.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Catwick to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA131454 (Lat/Lon: 53.892451, -0.280478), Catwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (TA129448) Little Catwick
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish