The Ancient Parish of CHERRY BURTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CHERRY BURTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; (the seat of David Foulis, Esq.) 3 miles N.W. of Beverley. This is a rectory, dedicated to St. Michael (see Churches for photograph), Mr. Robert Moxon and others are patrons, the Rev. R. D. Waddilove, dean of Ripon, rector, and the Rev. H. W. Hunter, B.A. curate. Pop. 417."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 280 gravestones in Cherry Burton Churchyard with a surname index.
- The List of Benefactions in St. Michael's Church, Cherry Burton.
- Transcript of the entry for Cherry Burton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Cherry Burton.
- The List of Rectors in St. Michael's Church, Cherry Burton.
- Colin Hinson has transcribed the following:
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the White's Directory of 1840, Yorkshire section.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the Pigot's 1834 Directory, Yorkshire section.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cherry Burton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE987421 (Lat/Lon: 53.865739, -0.500571), Cherry Burton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial in St. Michael and All Angel's Churchyard, Cherry Burton
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE954425) Gardham
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish