Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: CHERRY BURTON. Church dedication: SAINT MICHAEL. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 3,180 acres. Harthill wapentake. Hunsley Beacon . -Population, 447; Church-room, 200 *1; Net value, £887. -This is an ancient Rectory, formerly in the patronage of the College of Beverley, and upon the dissolution thereof continued in the Crown till Queen Elizabeth, who presented twice ; after that it came to the. Hothams.
Patron, the Rev. H. Ramsden. Torre's catalogue only commences a little before 1574.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £20; in the King's books, by the name of North Burton, at £23. 6s. 8d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 340, at £147 per annum.
Decrees in the Exchequer, in Trinity Term, 24th Elizabeth, and in Trinity Term, 7th Car. II., are unreported.
An Inclosure Act was passed 4th Geo. IV.
Jurisdiction. -In the diocese of York, vide Beverley.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1597.
Dr. Hodgson Johnson's charity, by will, dated 5th May 1722. rent charge of £2 per annum for providing coals for four poor persons on the 5th November annually, viz., 10s. each person.
Elizabeth Johnson's charity, by will, dated 11 th September 1740. Interest of £40 amongst the poorest inhabitants of the township at Christmas, by the minister, churchwardens, and overseers. -Vide 9th Report, page 741.
Post town: Beverley.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars) page 235. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. ii. page 39. Oliver's Beverley, page 496. Bawdwen's Domesday Book.
*1 In 1818, the Church-room was returned sufficient for the then Population of 300.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.