COTTINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1829.
"COTTINGHAM, a village, once a market-town, in the parish of its name, in the Hunsley division of Harthill wapentake, in the east riding, is about five stiles front Beverley. The very agreeable situation of this village, added to the salubrity of its air, and its vicinity to Hull, render it a place of general resort to the genteel families of that town, some of whom have erected well built houses, in the manner of country villas. The soil being rich, this village abounds in gardens, and affords a plentiful supply of vegetables for the Hull market. The parish church is dedicated to St. Mary; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Chester, and incumbency of the Rev. J. Deans. The independent and primitive Methodists- have each a-chapel in the parish, in which there is also an endowed, school for ten poor children. The river Hull passes near to the town; and a short distance from it is a curious periodical spring, about two yards in diameter, which discharges an immense quantity of water for two or three months successively, after which it will dry up, and remain so for two or three years. There is one fair held annually, on the feast of St. Martin, for cattle and hiring servants. The population of the parish by the census of 1821, was 2,479, comprising 1,171 males and 1,308 females."
[Transcribed from Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29 ]
by Colin Hinson ©2007