Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for COTTINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

COTTINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

"COTTINGHAM, Cottingham, a village, once a market town, is in the parish of its name, in the Hunsley - Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, East Riding; about 5 miles s. from Beverley, and 4.5 n.w. from Hull. The very agreeable situation of this village, added to the salubrity of its air, and its vicinity to Hull, render it a place of general resort to the genteel families of that town, some of whom have erected neat habitations, in the style of country villas. The soil being rich, this village abounds in gardens, and affords a plentiful supply of vegetables for the Hull market. In the village of Newland, in the eastern part of this parish, there is a great extent of pasture and meadow land, from which Hull is supplied with milk and butter, and on the edge of the hills to the west, are many considerable farms of arable land, in an improved state of cultivation. The river Hull passes the village of Cottingham on the east, at the distance of two miles. On the west, upon the estate of Colonel Thompson, are intermitting springs, resembling those on the Wolds, which flow for two or three months, when the water totally subsides, and the ground continues perfectly dry for an interval of two or three years. The town of Hull is supplied with water from several overflowing springs in this parish, the openings of which are deep and capacious, and the quantity of water issuing from them very great. In the parish is an establishment for the reception of ladies labouring under insanity; it is called the 'Cottingham Retreat', and is ably conducted by Mr. Joseph Taylor, assisted by two medical attendants. The parish church is dedicated to St. Mary; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of Chester, and incumbency of the Rev. Ralph Barker. The independents and primitive methodists have each a chapel for their use in the parish, in which there is also a school for ten poor children: which was endowed by Mark Kirby, Esq. of Hull, in 1712, with land, let at present for £30. per annum. In this parish, the cottage system and allotments of land to the industrious poor, have been most effectively applied; the result having been a diminution of the poor rates, and a marked improvement in the general conduct and habits of the poorer class. There is one fair held annually, on the feast of St. Martin, for cattle & hiring of servants. The population of the parish, by the government census taken in 1821, was 2,479, and by that for 1831, 2,575."

[Transcribed by Steve Garton ©2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]