"COTTINGHAM, a parish in the Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from Kingston upon Hull, containing, with a part of the township of Willerby, 2479 inhabitants. Cottingham was formerly a market-town. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Skidley annexed, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £300 royal bounty, and £800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester, as impropriator of the rectory, which is rated in the king's books at £106. 13. 4. The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is a spacious handsome edifice, built in 1272, with a light and beautiful tower rising from the centre: within are several elegant monuments, particularly those of the family of Burton,- and in the chancel is an ancient tombstone, without date, to the memory of the founder, Nicholas de Stuteville. There are places of worship for Independents and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. Leland, in his Collectanea, states 'that William d'Estoteville, or Stuteville, being then sheriff of Yorkshire, entertained King John here, and obtained from that monarch, in the year 1200, permission to hold a market and fair, and to embattle and fortify his residence. This noble mansion, called Baynard castle, continued for ages a distinguished monument of feudal grandeur, but it was destroyed by fire in 1541, and only the ramparts and ditches are visible. In the 15th of Edward II., Thomas, Lord Wake, began to establish here a monastery for Augustine canons, which, about the year 1324, was removed to the extra-parochial liberty of Newton, or Howdenprice: its revenue, at the dissolution, was estimated at £178. 0. 10.: there are no remains. The village, which is very agreeably situated, is large, and contains several highly respectable dwelling-houses j there are two breweries and a carpet-manufactory. A considerable portion of the land in the parish is appropriated to the cultivation of vegetables and other horticultural produce,- for the market at Hull, which place is also, in a great measure, supplied with milk and butter from this neighbourhood. The market and one of the fairs have been discontinued, but a fair is held annually on the festival of St. Martin. A free school is principally sup- ported from a bequest of land, producing about £40 per annum, by Mr. Mark Kirby, in 1712, for which twenty children are instructed. There are various minor benefactions for the poor, including a dole of £10 per annum, left by Mr. Robert Mills, for distribution at Christmas. The parish officers, in 1819, assigned about twelve acres of land, the proceeds of which were previously applied toward the repairs of the church, to twenty poor men, each of whom has erected a cottage, for which he pays annually an acknowledgment of two shillings. Adjoining the ancient road called Keldgate are some intermitting springs, which will sometimes flow copiously after remaining quiescent for several years."
"WILLERBY, a township in the parishes of COTTINGHAM and KIRK-ELLA, county of the town of KINGSTON-upon-HULL, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Kingston upon Hull: the latter part contains 200 inhabitants, and the former is returned with the parish of Cottingham."