Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: DUNNINGTON. Church dedication: ST. NICHOLAS. Church type: Rectory in charge.
Area, 3,110 acres. Ouse and Derwent wapentake *1. -Population, 713 *2 ; Church-room, 300; Net value, £349. -The Prebendary of Ampleford hath in Dunnington his dominical manor or capital tenement, with six oxgangs of demesne land and one hundred acres of pasture, in common, for his men and those of John de Crau-combes.
Likewise ten bondagers, holding two oxgangs of land a-piece, each oxgang containing ten acres of arable and one of meadow, and yielding to the lord 2s. 6d. ob. per oxgang.
Also he hath six cottagers and grassmen, with their services, &c., and hath jurisdiction over all his tenants there.
The Prebendary of Dunnington is lord of the town, and hath his manor there, and eight oxgangs and twelve acres of land, and twenty acres of meadow, and one wood, containing about six acres, and pannage therein ; also one moor, containing thirty acres, and a wind and water mill; also certain bond tenants, holding of him by corporal services.
The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Percies, Earls of Northumberland, and afterwards of the Earls Of Bridgewater.
Present patrons, the executors of the Earl of Bridgewater.
Torre gives a catalogue of the Rectors.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £8; in the King's books, at £19; Synodals and Procurations, 7s. 10d.; fee farm rent to the Crown of £8; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 280. 303, at £80 per annum, and stated : " Has a third part of Grimston, which should be added to Heslington."
20th June 1717, faculty to apply the remains of the Church of St. Nicholas, near York, towards the repairing of the steeple of Dunnington Church.
24th March 1738, ditto to remove and rebuild the pulpit, &c., and to erect and allot additional sittings.
An Inclosure Act was passed 10th Geo. III.
The Prebendary of Dunnington formerly had jurisdiction within the town.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1583.
Timothy Overend's gift, by will, dated 16th July 1728. Interest of £10, to be given in bread, half on Christmas-day, and half on the 7th of March.
James Twinam's gift, by will, dated 6th August 1733. A moiety of the rent of four acres of copyhold land, called the Ings, for the poor of the parish.
Dinah Richardson's gift, by codicil, dated 1st February 1787. Dividends on £75 navy five per cents., given in bread every Sunday, when there is a sermon.
Church Estate. The original acquisition of this property is unknown. It consists of a house, divided, into two tenements, with a garth or yard of two perches, a blacksmith's shop, with a garth or yard of three perches, and some closes, containing together 28A. 1r. 14p. The rents, at the time of the Report, amounted to £62. 2s. 6d. per annum, and they are applied, in lieu of a Church-rate, for the support and repairs of the body of the parish Church. There is also a building used as a school, which is considered to form part of the estate, but for which no rent is paid. -Vide 11th Report. page 752.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 633. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 13. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Dodintone, Domniton), pages 170. 238 ; (Grimeston), 170. 238.
*1 The greater part of the parish is within the liberty of St. Peter of York.
*2 Viz. Dunnington, 643; and Grimston, 70. -In 1834, the population was returned at 651.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.