DUNNINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"DUNNINGTON, a parish partly in the wapentake of OUZE-AND-DERWENT, but chiefly within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, East riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.E. from York, containing, with the township of Grimston, 623 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £19, and in the patronage of the Trustees of the late Earl of Bridgewater. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The high road here separates the East from the North riding."
"GRIMSTON, a township in that part of the parish of DUNNINGTON, which is in the wapentake of OUZE-and-DERWENT, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from York, containing 72 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]