Wapentake of Holderness (South Division) - Petty Sessional Division of South Holderness - County Council Electoral Division and Poor Law Union of Patrington - County Court District of Hedon - Rural Deanery of Hedon - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
This parish extends across the narrow tongue of land between the German Ocean and the Humber. It comprises the townships of Easington and Out-Newton, containing 2,995 acres. The parish was formerly more extensive, and included Hoton, Northorpe, and Ravenser Odd, all of which places were situated on the bank of the Humber, and were washed away by the encroachments of the sea in the 14th century. The township of Easington contains 2,319 acres of land, of which 2,022 acres are under assessment. Its rateable value is £2,471, and the population 371. The soil is rich and fertile, - the subsoil chiefly clay and marl. Sir F. A. Talbot Clifford-Constable, Bart., is lord of the manor, for whom a court leet is held yearly; and the principal landowners are Sir James Walker, Bart., Sand Hutton, York; Rev. T. L. Richardson, Clifton, Bristol; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; Messrs. Tasker; Mr. Robert Hunton Clubley, Firtholme House; William Bulson; George Henry Clubley, Easington; the exors. of John Atkinson, Mrs. Mook, Keyingham; Mr. T. Tomlinson, Preston; and B. Clubley, Easington.
Nothing is recorded of Easington prior to the Norman Conquest; but from its name we learn that it was the ton or settlement of the Æscings, a numerous Saxon clan, which may be traced in many place-names in Northumberland, Durham, Yorkshire, and Oxford. At the time of the Conquest, Esintone belonged to Earl Morcar, who had here 15 carucates of land to be taxed, and as many ploughs. The Conqueror transferred the manor, with the rest of Holderness, to Drogo de Beurere, and Easington has remained ever since attached to the seigniory of Holderness.
The village of Easington stands about half-a-mile from the German Ocean, one mile from the Humber, and six miles south-east from Patrington, the nearest railway station. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing three bells, the largest of which (nearly a ton weight) is supposed to have been brought from Ravenser, when the chapel there was dismantled. There was a church here before the Norman Conquest, but the oldest parts of the present edifice (the north aisle and nave), appear to belong to the latter part of the 12th century; the other portions having been rebuilt or added at various times in the style of architecture which then prevailed. The north arcade consists of three wide arches, resting on very thick circular piers without cap mouldings; and at the west end of this aisle is a fine Norman doorway, said by tradition to have been brought from Birstall, on the dissolution of that priory. The arcade on the south side of the nave belongs to the early part of the 13th century, and consists of four Early Pointed arches springing from columns alternately cylindrical and clustered with moulded capitals. The south wall of this aisle was rebuilt about 1450, about which time also the clerestory was added to the nave, and the former roof of high pitch flattened. The chancel is spacious, and contains an ancient 14th century piscina. The east window is a very fine perpendicular one of five lights. On the north side of the chancel was a chantry chapel, the doorway of which is still visible in the chancel. The tower is built of Roche Abbey stone, and is apparently 14th century work. The chancel was completely restored and re-roofed in 1863, and in 1890 the nave and aisles were partially restored, at an expense of £500. A new open timbered roof of pitchpine was placed on the former, and all the windows of the latter were restored and glazed in heavy tinted cathedral glass. The scheme of restoration has been only partially carried out; there remain yet to be done the roofing of the north aisle and the Ladye Chapel on the south side of the chancel, the clerestory, re-flooring, and several minor details. It is also contemplated re-opening the entrance through the fine north doorway. The "fantastic gallery," erected at the west end of the church in 1802, "in the most debased style of village architecture," which partly concealed the noble arch of the tower, and obstructed the view of the west window, has been removed. This window is a very handsome one of three lights, filled with stained glass, representing Faith, Hope and Charity. It was inserted at the expense of William Henry Mabb and Isabel Herbert, in memory of their relatives. The registers date from 1590, and the communion plate (silver) bears the date of 1571.
The church of Easington was given by Edward I. to the Abbey of Meaux, and in 1346 it was appropriated to the abbot and monks of that house, and a perpetual vicarage ordained, the patronage of which should be vested in the archbishops of York. The rectory was then one of the richest in Holderness, its yearly value, according to the Valor of Pope Nicholas IV. (A.D. 1288), was £40, a very considerable income when the best grass-fed ox could be purchased for less than 16s.; the best shorn mutton for 1s. 2d.; the best goose for 3d.; and 20 eggs for a penny. After the destruction of ravenser Odd, and the adjacent parts of the parish, in 1360, the income was very much reduced. At the dissolution of religious houses, Henry VIII. settled the rectory upon the archiepiscopal see. The living is a vicarage united with Skeffling and Kilnsea, joint gross yearly value £300, with £120 for a curate, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1858 by the Rev. Hy. Maister, M.A., New Inn Hall, Oxford, who resides at Skeffling.
There are chapels in the village belonging to the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, the former built in 1850, and the latter in 1851. The National School (mixed) is a commodious building of brick, with master's house attached, erected about 32 years ago. There is accommodation for 130 children, and an average attendance of 77. It is endowed with 3 acres, 3 roods, 27 perches, of land at Skeflling, bequeathed by R. Pattinson, Esq., in 1811, and which now lets for £6 a year.
The Overton family had lands here on which they resided three or four centuries. Thomas de Overton, of Easington, was the first Prior of Haltemprise, in Cottingham, and another Thomas Overton was a Baron of the Exchequer in 1403. In Easington church is a marble monument to John Overton, Esq., J.P., who died before 1651. He was a devoted adherent of Charles I., and rendered himself obnoxious to the Roundheads. His son and successor, Robert, having imbibed puritanical principles, and being influenced by Sir William Constable, of Flamborough, who afterwards signed the death warrant of the King, took up arms for the Parliament, and played a conspicious part in the Civil War. Their hall, afterwards called the Manor House, stood in the village, and contained a wainscotted apartment, decorated with portraits of the kings of England, from the Conquest to Charles II., painted on oak panels. The Overton estates were sold to the Milners about the end of the 17th century, and have since passed through other hands. The Manor House was purchased in 1887 by Mr. Robt. Hy. Webster, and two new dwelling houses have been erected on the site.
DIMLINGTON, is a hamlet near the sea coast, containing one farm house. Contiguous with it is Dimlington Cliff, the most elevated ground in this part of Holderness. Dimelton is mentioned in Domesday Book, it then contained five carucates of taxable land, and is still considered a separate manor. Its extent was much diminished by the encroachments of the sea in the 14th century.
OUT NEWTON, township comprises 676 acres of land; the rateable value is £646, and the number of inhabitants 42. The landowners are Henry Hewitson, Esq., Scarborough; Sir Jas. Walker, Bart., Sand Hutton, York; W. H. Harrison-Broadley, Esq., Welton, Brough; W. C. Cautley, Esq., Killinghall, Ripley; Jno. Thornhill, Esq., Great Longstone, Bakewell; Mrs. Stephenson, Holmpton; and Trinity House, Hull.
The village consists of a few scattered farmhouses and cottages, situated about two-and-a-half miles north of Easington, and four miles east of Patrington. Near the cliff is a part of the gable end of an ancient chapel-of-ease.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.