Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: EASTRINGTON. Church dedication: ST. MICHAEL. Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 6,910 acres. Howdenshire wapentake. Population, 1,676 *1; Church-room, 260 *2; Net value, £202. -The Bishop of Durham held here six carucates of land by barony of the King in capite.
This Chapel belonged to the patronage of the Prior and Convent of Durham, to which Priory it was appropriated, with right of sepulture, and a Vicarage ordained therein on the 6th Kal. Mart., A.D. 1267. In 1616, Michael Warton, Esq., presented, and in 1620 the Crown, by reason of lapse, since which time the Crown has continued to present.
Impropriators, several proprietors.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £60, and the Vicarage at £5; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £12. 9s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 230, it is stated : " The Vicar hath tithe hay and other small tithes, worth £40 per annum."
A decree in the Exchequer in Michaelmas Term, 26th Car. II., as to tithes, is unreported.
Inclosure Acts were passed 7th Geo. III. (Bishop Soil), 53rd Geo. III., and 2nd Geo. IV.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1563. Deficient in some years. -Vide transcripts in the Registry of the Peculiar Court.
The Free School, founded by Joseph Hewley, by will, dated 14th March 1726, for the poor children within the parish, to be taught reading, writing, and the Church Catechism. Endowment : 18a. 1r. 39p. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £28 per annum. The number varies in winter, being about thirty-eight, and in summer twenty.
John Atkinson's charity, by will, dated 8th November 1678. rent charge of £8 per annum to the deserving poor, in sums from 1s. to 5s. each person.
Burton's gift. Rent of one acre of land to poor persons, in sums from 2s. to 6s. each person.
Waterson's gift. rent charge of £1 per annum to poor persons who attend Church at the four great festivals. -Vide 11th Report, page 754.
Post town: Howden.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1213. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 83. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Cheuede), page 61; (Estrincton) 61, 62; (Portiton), 61.
*1 Viz. Bellasize, 189; Eastrington, 328; Gilberdike, 632 ; Newport Wallingfen, 367 ; and Portingen and Cavill, 160. -In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,680.
*2 The return in 1818 was 800.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.