Hide

EASTRINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"EASTRINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Bellasize, Eastrington, Gilberdike, Newport-Wallingfen, and Portingten with Cavil, and containing 1649 inhabitants, of which number, 375 are in the township of Eastrington, 3 miles E.N.E. from Howden. The living is a discharged vicarage, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Howdenshire, rated in the king's books at £12. 9. 7, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. In 1726, Joseph Hewley gave a house and land, now producing £28 a year, for the use of a school, in which about thirty children are educated."


"BELLASIZE, a township in the parish of EASTRINGTON, wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.E. from Howden, containing 197 inhabitants."


"CAVIL, a township, joint with Portingten, in the parish of EASTRINGTON, wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.N.E. from Howden. The population is returned with Portingten."


"GILBERDIKE, a township in the parish of EASTRINGTON, wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.E. from Howden, containing 640 inhabitants."


"NEWPORT WALLINGFEN, a township in the parish of EASTRINGTON, wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.W. from South Cave, containing 339 inhabitants. There is a place of worship, erected in'1814, for Wesleyan Methodists, in connexion with which is a large Sunday school. About half a century ago, this was an uncultivated morass, called Walling Fen; but a bed of clay, of very superior quality, having been discovered, which is dug to the depth of thirty-feet from the surface, it became noted for the manufacture of bricks, tiles, and coarse earthenware, to a very great extent, whereby the value of the land was amazingly increased, and a thriving village sprang up. The Market-Weighton canal is in the vicinity."


"PORTINGTEN, a township, joint with Cavil, in the parish of EASTRINGTON, wapentake of HOWDENSHIRE, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Howden, containing, with Cavil, 98 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]