Hide

EASTRINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"EASTRINGTON, a parish, and township in the wapentake of Howdenshire, East Riding, county York, 3 miles N.E. of Howden, its post town, and 19 W. of Hull. It is a railway station on the Selby and Hull line. The parish contains the townships of Bellasize and Gilberdyke, with the hamlets of Bennet Land, Greenoak, Newland, Portington, and other small places. The soil is a strong clay, and the greater part of the land is arable. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £202, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is in the Gothic style of architecture, with tower and three bells. The charities amount to £41 per annum, £28 of which are for Hewley's school. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school."


"BELLASIZE, a township in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake of Howdenshire, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Howden. Bennetland and Greenoak are hamlets of this township. The Bellasize family had an old seat here."


"BENNETLAND, a hamlet in the township of Bellasize, and parish of Eastrington, and wapentake of Howdenshire, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Howden, its post and Union town."


"CAVIL, a hamlet in the parish of Eastrington, in the hundred of Howdenshire, in the East Riding of the county of York, 2 miles N.E. of Howden. There are traces of the ancient seat of the Cavillages"


"GILBERDIKE, a township in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake of Howdenshire, East Riding county York, 5½ miles N.E. of Howden, its post town. It is situated in the vicinity of the Hull and Selby railway, the Staddlethorpe station being about half a mile distant. The hamlets of Hive, Owsthorpe, Newport-Gilberdyke, and Sandholme are included in this township The district is agricultural. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1830, under which the tithes have been commuted for land and a money payment."


"HIVE, a hamlet in the township of Gilberdike, and parish of Eastrington, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Howden."


"NEW GILBERDIKE, a village in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake of Howdenshire, East Riding county York. It is situated on Walling Fen, and abounds in excellent clay for earthenware and bricks, which are extensively manufactured. The village is of recent growth."


"NEWPORT, a township in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake of Howdenshire, East Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of the Staddlethorpe station on the Hull and Selby railway, and 8 E. of Howden. The village, which is large, is situated on the Market Weighton canal, and near the river Humber. It is chiefly agricultural. At the commencement of the present century this was an uncultivated morass, called Walling Fen, but is now reclaimed. Part of the land is extremely valuable on account of a bed of clay of very superior quality being discovered, which is dug to the depth of 30 feet from the surface. There are extensive brick and tile kilns. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. There is a school for both sexes. A corn market is held on Thursday evenings. It is united with Walling Fen to form a township."


"PORTINGTEN, (and Cavil) a township in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake of Howdenshire, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Howden. It is situated near the line of the Hull railway."


"SANDHOLME, a hamlet in the township of Gilberdike, and parish of Eastrington, East Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Howden. It is in conjunction with Hive and Owstrop."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013