Hide

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Eastrington:

hide
Hide
Hide


"BELLASIZE, in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 2¼ miles SE. of Eastrington, 5 miles E. of Howden. Pop. 197."


"BENNETLAND, a hamlet in the township of Bellasize, and parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 2 miles ESE. of Eastrington, 5 miles E. of Howden."


"BURLAND, a single house in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 1¼ miles W. of Eastrington, 3 miles NE. of Howden."


"CAVILLE, in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 1¾ miles W. of Eastrington, 3 miles NNE of Howden. Population included with Portingten."


"CHEAPSIDES, in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 2¾ miles E. of Eastrington, 6 miles E. of Howden."


"EIGHT AND FORTY HOUSES, in the parish of Eastrington, and wapentake of Harthill; 3¼ miles E. of Eastrington, 5 miles WSW. of South Cave."


"GILBERDYKE, in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 2¼ miles E. of Eastrington, 5½ miles ENE. of Howden. Pop. including Hive & Sandholm, 640."


"GREEN OAK, a hamlet in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 1¾ miles SE. of Eastrington, 4 miles E. of Howden."


"HIVE, formerly Hythe, in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 1¾ miles ENE. of Eastrington, 4 miles ENE. of Howden."


"NEW LAND, in the parishes of Howden and Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; ½ mile SE. of Eastrington, 3 miles E. of Howden."


"NEWPORT, or New Village, in the parish of Eastrington, (& partly extra-parochial) wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire, and wapentake of Harthill; 5 miles W. of South Cave. A pleasant thriving village situated on the high road from Howden to Hull, and on the Market Weighton canal, celebrated for its manufacture of tiles, bricks, and coarse earthenware; there being 1,700,000 tiles and 2,000,000 of bricks made annually. This now considerable village was fifty years ago, a wild uncultivated morass, called " Walling Fen" There is here a bed of clay, superior to any in the country, which is got to the depth of thirty feet below the surface. This land which so lately was a barren waste, is now sold for the purposes of the above mfr. for £200. per acre. There is a neat brick chapel here belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists, erected in 1814, and a Sunday school belonging to the society for the instruction of two hundred poor children of this and the neighbouring villages. Population, 339."


"NEWTON, in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 3¼ miles E. of Eastrington, 4 miles E. of Howden,"


"OWSTHORPE, 2 f.h. in the township of Gilberdike and parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; 1 mile NE. of Eastrington, 3½ miles ENE. of Howden."


"PORTINGTON, in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire; ¾ mile NW. of Eastrington, 4 miles NE. of Howden. Population with Cavill, 98.

In 1814, three small imperfect coins, and a Roman urn containing upwards of 100 other coins, all in high preservation, and comprising, with the exception of two, coins of the several Emperors from Nero to Commodus, were found in a lane near Portington."


"RIVER BRIDGE, in the parish of Eastrington, wapentake and liberty of Howdenshire, and wapentake of Harthill; 5 miles W. of South Cave. Four or five houses situated on the east bank of the river Foulness (also known as the Market Weighton Canal) where it crosses the Howden to Hull road. [Heather - 2005]"


"SANDHOLME, in the township of Gilberdike, and parish of Eastrington, wapentake of Howdenshire; 2 miles ENE. of Eastrington, 4½ miles from Howden, 8 from South-Cave."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]