Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: ELLERTON. Church dedication: ST. MARY. Church type: Perpetual Curacy.
Area, 2,320 acres. Harthill wapentake. Holme Beacon. -Population, 305 ; Church-room, 350; Net value, £110. -Roger de Lassells and Thomas de Greystoke held one carucate of land in Ellerton of the Baron of Greystoke, who held the same of Gilbert de Gant, and he of the King in capite. Also the Knights Templars held one oxgang of land.
This Church was given by Peter, son of Peter de Malolacu, to the Priory of Ellerton, in this town, and appropriated to it, but it does not appear that a Vicarage was ever ordained in it. There is a payment from the Crown of £5. 6s. per annum.
Patron and impropriator, Sir C. B. Codrington, Bart.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; in 1707, the Curacy was valued at £10; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 366, at £56 impropriation ; and in 1818, at £127 per annum.
Augmented in 1732, with £200, to meet benefaction of common lands worth £210 and upwards, from Hugh Bethell, Esq., with consent of the freeholders ; and in 1794, with £200, by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 42nd Geo. III.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1680.
Sir Hugh Bethell's almshouses, founded by will, dated 1st August 1610. These consist of three very ancient dwellings. £20 per annum is divided among six almspeople, and there is an allowance to each of three chaldrons of coals.
William Bethell, Esq.'s charity, by will, proved at York 25th February 1696. £11 per annum, to be given in bread weekly to such poor persons as have no relief from the Hospital.
Poor's Land. Twenty-one acres. Rent distributed.
Wood's dole, vide Pocklington. 3s. 4d. per annum.
Allerthorpe dole. 6s. 8d. per annum rent charge on a cottage belonging to Mr. Hall, of York.
Payment by Mr. William Richardson. rent charge of 10s. per annum to the poor.
Payment by Mr. Thomas Boast. rent charge of 3s. 4d. per annum to the poor. -Vide 11th Report, page 727.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS. (East Riding), page 1207. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 21. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 975. Burton's Monasticon, page 343. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5078. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Elreton, Alreton), pages 79. 98, 99. 104. 236.
PRIORY. -The Priory of Ellerton, for Gilbertine Canons, was founded before 1212 by William Fitz Peter.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.